2 December 2008

oh america

How I love you. as far back as I can remember I have said I wanted to live overseas. i think it was the idea of an exotic land, a culture different to mine own, a new language; it was the pull of an adventure. Now, roughly two years of life in the UK and there is a new pull. America. perhaps it is just the holiday season, thanksgiving food, leaves with loads of colour, Christmas lights and the promise of snow. perhpas it is that the last two weeks i have been in America, the sun has been brightly shining every day. that’s right, SUN EVERY DAY! i was beginning to question the existence of the sun in the UK. here, there is no doubt. the sun exist and comes out every day to bring comfort and joy. i miss the sun.

I miss my family, being in the same time zone as my friends, i miss chick-fil-a, loafin joes, big SUV's, super wal-mart, free drink refills, QT, affordable petrol, affordable anything really. I miss america. I never want to be one of those people who thinks America is the best and that all the other countries suck. One of those obnoxious Americans who constantly pits every experience against life in the US, coming to the same conclusion every time-America is the best. But.... lets be frank here people, America is pretty damn good.

So here I am, sitting in my companies corporate office in Boston, Mass gazing out the window into the glorious sunshine, wishing that this was my home office instead of rainy, windy, cold UK.

3 comments:

Stefanie said...

Yay! Okay, so make it your home. The American sunshine has been informing me lately that it misses you, too. It needs you. I'm so happy we got to have dinner with you and Rhys :) Miss you tons!

kaw said...

If it makes you feel any better I live in America and I miss Loafin Joe's too! I do love a lot of those things on your list, but I don't want to be that obnoxious American either!!

Sohailah said...

Awww, poor girl. I totally understand that - I used to LONG to live in the UK - I think because my mom grew up there and it seemed magical to me. But everytime I travel for months at a time, I long for home.