14 February 2012

a follow up.

(Warning: Graphic Pictures. If you dont like stitches, then dont read.)


The last post was a bit of a downer. It's true, I was wallowing. Everyone wallows. It is, unfortunately, a part of life. But things really are better. Let me rephrase that- my attitude is better. Technically things have gotten worse.

Remember the stitches I mentioned last post? Well I reached back to assist my vomiting child (more on that later) and ended up pulling them. Not a pretty sight. And just in case you wanted to see.....



Gross, I know.

Then.... Eleri got sick. Really sick. Her fever never really dropped below 103 or 104 the entire weekend. From Friday right through today, this is what my little one has been doing.



Can you see her little head poking up from the blanket? She has laid there and half slept, half watched Mickey Mouse for days. Throw in some vomit and that is little E. We went to the doctor today and she has "a highly contagious throat infection." poor thing.

Then....on Saturday Rhys was working on his top secret Valentine's Day present for me. That is great on so many levels but mostly because he was making something and because we don't really do Valentines day so it was a neat surprise. And then it happened. He was wood carving and the knife got a bit carried away. It cut in such a way that the blood splatter made our kitchen look like a crime scene. It took a while to get the blood off the walls. A trip to the ER and 8 stitches later, this is what Rhys' thumb looks like.... (warning: it is gross)



So that is where we are. Rhys now has stitches. Eleri is really sick and me? Well I just kinds have to laugh at it all. In the grand scheme of life, our little set backs are not that major. Plus this last week we were blessed beyond words by some amazing friends. Friends that we have only known a few months, but friends that truly bent over backwards to help us out. Lisa who watched Eleri (pre sickness. dont worry I am not contaminating everyone) Tim who took Rhys to the ER at 11 at night, even though it was his birthday. Ally who talked to me until almost midnight because I just couldn't settle. Brooke, Sarah and the Mah's who brought us food on different nights. Such a blessing. I can not reiterate that enough. Such a blessing. It was incredible to feel so surrounded by love even through some difficult times.

So here we are today. And what did I do? I made a cake. A big, fat, lemon cake with extra lemon icing. Then I helped myself to a piece right in the middle. Because heck, it was the piece I wanted.



Served up with some sparkling lemonade and it turned out to be a pretty good evening.



Attitude, with the help of some friends, can make all the difference.

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

So sorry, friend. I'm glad to see that when life hands you lemons, you make a bunch of stuff with them :)