3 April 2008

the truth in tired clichés

There are those sayings that we all use. "just trust in the Lord", "you are never alone", "He will give you the desires of your heart", "He has a plan for you", "He is preparing you for something better" and on and on..... But it’s true. Not just something that sounds nice (or annoying, depending on the mood) or something to say in the silence, but it is truth. And that is what I find the most difficult. In daily conversations with friends, inevitably I will talk about trusting in God and the plan that He has. I say it out loud. I know it’s true. I want the person I am saying it to, to accept, believe and be comforted by it. But i choose to disregard it. Why? I don’t know. The Bible is not only a book of rules and regulations, but an amazingly detailed book on life and circumstance. The answers are right there. "nothing has seized you but what is common to man", "and David danced with JOY" "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength", "Shine like stars in the universe..." "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want..." and so forth. Every situation, every circumstance has been lived through and laid out. There is an answer. There is a truth to be discovered, believed and lived. All those tired, religious clichés are actually the tired, religious clichés that they are because there was so much truth in it, people said it over and over and over..... we just stopped believing in it.

Sometimes, more often now than ever before, I stop and think about how much God has blessed me. I have the most amazing husband in the world. I have fantastic friends, both here and in the USA, and there are few things I don’t like about my life right now. So why can I thank God for what He has already given me, but not believe that He will provide more? Why do I worry and question about money, work, house, family, future when I know that 'if He looks after the lilies of the fields, will He not also take care of me?' Not sure how I lost the truth of the scripture, but I can only imagine the change in my life, and the lives of those around me, if I started really believing again.

The truth is right in front of us. And as they say 'The truth shall set you free'

No comments: