18 February 2008

the 10 of them


Rhys has a very unique situation. He is part of a group of ten boys that are beyond just good friends. The bond that that these boys have is amazing to see and even more amazing to be a part of. The group goes back with some as far as primary school, with other just to the first year of university. But for the last 8 years these boys have lived life together in the most real way. Rhys, Tuna, Oli, Ricey, Dave, Osian, Johnny five, Ryan, Jamie and Gav. They all have a very 'speacial' bond with one another that consists of constant mockery, unending banter back and forth and a continous stream of laughter.

As the wife, I have the privelge of being a part of the group. When there are get togethers, the wives and girlfriends come along. Me, Laura, Wendy, Michelle and Lara. Michelle and Ricey have been together for the better part of 10 years. Jamie and Laura nearly 7. Lara and Oli at least 5 and Ryan and Wendy almost 4. That makes Rhys and I the baby couple at only 2 years. The girls are great too. We always have a good time with each other and with the boys. It is always a time that I look forward to.

This weekend was one of those times. Jamie and Laura flew in from Boston and we all went up to Ricey and Michelle's in Coventry. We had a great meal, loads of drinks and after playing a rousing game of 'sing star' I was sitting on the couch, surveying the room, and it hit me. What an amazing thing I am a part of. Oli lounging on the bean bag chair, Ricey, Jamie and Rhys all laughing hystrecially about who knows what, the girls huddled together, cosmos in hand, chatting away. What a moment. It is speacial to have friends that are close. It is almost unheard of to have a group who would do anything for one another, no questions asked. I dont have that. I dont really know anyone else who does. I have a few close friends that I treasure, but nothing at all like the 10 of them. It's a great thing. I am so pleased that Rhys has those boys and equally as pleased that as a result, I get to be a part of an amazing group of people. It was a fantastic weekend. And I know there are many more to look forward to.

No comments: