14 November 2008

a new flat....

we are moving. And it is very exciting. well, not the actual moving part, but the having a new flat part. I cannot wait. part of me is a bit sad about leaving 35 Fairlawns, I will a few things. That is only a tiny, tiny part though. Most things I won’t miss. I wont miss the mold, the lack of an overhead shower, the year upon year of decay in the bathroom, the crazy old woman upstairs, the piano playing next door neighbour and her musician friends who choose to practice around 2am, the fridge door that doesn’t shut all the way so our food goes off after one day, the washing machine that leaks (you have no idea how many books have been ruined) and sounds like a WWII airplane taking off every time it runs, the kitchen sick tap that is broken and squirts at you, the landlord who hate Americans, and woman, and really people in general. but I will miss the 'idea' of 35 Fairlwans. It was my first home as a married woman. that last bit of the sentence made me sound like i am about 50, but its true. that tiny, one car garage (with room left over) of a flat was the first home that Rhys and I shared. plus from the outside it looked really nice, so that makes it ok right?

Our new place is like heaven compared to the old flat. It is on the first floor, which in the UK means second floor, and it is lovely. An old house conversion, we are one of 4 flats in the building. There is a communal door for the top 3 and then on basement flat below us. our flat is beautiful. I will put some pictures up once I actually remember to take some, but in the meantime, let me try to describe it to you.

The ceilings are vaulted, about 14 feet high. The house was built in the early 1800's, so there is really intricate moulding and trim around the top. All the floors are old fashioned wood. The walls are white and tan and have just been repainted. As you walk in the front door there is a slight entry room/hallway. Immediately to the left is the living room. There is a big bay window to the front, which faces the sun so we get loads of natural light (something we were lacking in the old flat) there are two big white couches and a small table. We will soon be adding a bookshelf and computer table. The bathroom is directly in front of the door when you walk in, to the left of the living room. It was re-done less than a year ago and you can tell. The room is floor to ceiling tile. Big, rough, tan and brown tile. Very contemporary. all the fittings are silver and there are a few glass shelves around. ready for the best part? THERE IS A SHOWER!! yea!! this shower is actually attached to the wall, as opposed to be held up about mid chest level by a piece of string from an old pair of shorts tied to a clothes drying rack. (Interested in the old shower?) This is actually a REAL shower. It has water pressure too!! I am looking forward to washing my hair more than twice a week!! The bedroom is to the left of the bathroom and it is huge! we have a queen size bed (which is leaps and bounds better than the double we have had). the frame is old, rod iron with a great design. There are two wardrobes and we will soon add a dresser as I have more clothes than a small army!

Going back to the front door, if you walk in, through the entry and take a left, there is a little hallway; down at the end of the hallway is the kitchen. The kitchen is about 2/3 the size of what we have now, but it was also re-done about a year ago and it is beautiful!! All new counter tops, silver appliances, tan wood cabinets, and new tile floor. It beats the bright yellow kitchen, with yellow cabinets and yellow appliances of the old flat. Right next to the kitchen, off the hallway bit is a little storage alcove. The washer and fridge are in here as well as loads of room for storage. Oh, and did I mention the fridge is a full size fridge as opposed to the college dorm room sized one we have now?! It is beautiful.

I realise that I probably made that sound a bit nicer than what it really is, but I am excited. Any way you look at it, it is much nicer than what we have now. The way it is divided, the hallways and the tall ceilings give the impression that the flat is bigger than it actually is. Our new flat is barely 400 sq. feet. Less than a one car garage. ah, sometimes my living arrangements make me laugh when I put it in the context of what most American married couples my age have.....

2 comments:

Jamie Green said...

Congratulations on the new flat Christina - If it makes you feel any better Laura dn I shared a 2 bedroom flat with Dave that was 600sft it seems small but you just make it work right! Laura and I are very excited to see you guys.

Jamie

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it :).