30 January 2012

daily lessons

One of my goals for 2012 under the Spiritual heading was to read through the Bible and read a 'study' daily. I put two one my iPhone because I figured that was the best way to ensure that I would do it every single day. It beeps regularly to remind me, I can read it anywhere, and I get a handy percentage calculator letting me know how far along I am. It's nice for me to see the progress. So far it is going pretty well. I am on track. Granted it is only January, but I am staying positive!

One study is called "Eat this Book" and it goes through the Bible from Genesis to Revelations with a Psalm or Proverb at the end of each daily reading. The other study is call "Parenting by Design: Daily Devotional" Basically it is just what it sounds like. Every day there is a little snippet about parenting and then it ends with a related verse. I like the reminders of parenting by God's standards.

The reading for today was particularly good so I wanted to share it....

Love of the World

"Is there a more important lesson we can teach our children? Pursuit of material things never satisfies and it never ends. God has much more for us than the things we desire here on earth, yet we often live in a way that our kids cannot see that truth. They see us striving and stressing because we have one more thing- yet want still another. They see us comparing ourselves to others. Sadly, they even see us comparing them to other kids, pushing them to be 'successful' in school, athletics, and relationships. Is the love of things of the world your example to your kids? How could you better demonstrate a love of spiritual things?"

"Do not love the world or anything in the world. For if anyone loves the world, the love for the Father is no in them. For everything in the world- the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life- comes not from the Father but from the world." 1 John 2:15-16


I think this is a particularly important lesson as we are raising kids in a culture that places such emphasis on what we have, what we look like, where we live etc.... I can tell Eleri that it doesn't matter what is on the outside, because it is the inside that really counts. But if the way I am living my life contradicts that, then they become truly empty words.

I have a friend who strives to show her kids daily what it means to seek after Jesus and not after the world. Her daughter recently turned 5. They had a big, fun birhtday party but on the invitation it said to not bring gifts but instead bring certain supplies for a 3rd grade classroom. The family had "adopted" a classroom from a poor, west Tulsa school and as her daughters birthday present, they took all the supplies and toys to the classroom and gave to those less fortunate. It makes me tear up even writing about it now. Talk about a living example. It is not what you have, the pursuit of more and more and more....

This mother truly lives that for her children.

Do I? Do I show E with my actions, as well as words, that material things don't matter as much as Jesus?

Something to think about for sure.

No comments: