20 December 2010

strength

Lesson Learned. What was the best thing you learned about yourself this past year? And how will you apply that lesson going forward?

i am strong.

having a baby made me realise just how capable i really was. i had a goal of a natural, water birth. while little e didn't actually arrive in the birthing pool, i managed to accomplish the entire 22 hours with no pain medicine. i remember feeling really victorious at the end. i had managed to stick to my birthing plan. i had achieved my goal.

growing into motherhood has daily reinforced just how strong i can be. having a little one completely dependent upon me day after day requires strength and stamina. it is rewarding and wonderful and i wouldn't trade a single day of it. but it is challenging nonetheless.

but i needed the labour, i needed the entire birthing process as my foundation. the entire experienced changed me. not just because i got a baby at the end (although that is wonderful) but the process itself was life changing. and nothing has been the same since. i look at situations knowing that i will come out on top. my internal strength is more than i ever thought before. and i can remind myself of that when things get difficult.

2010 has been an interesting year. i can look back and remember some amazing moments. specifically those mentioned in THIS post. but there were also some hardships. i was faced with a cancer diagnosis and treatment. i had to organise, process, apply and interview with two sets of governments. i moved 4 times. i left my home, my friends and my security in London to move into the unknown. i had a major knee injury that immobilized me and there were major life changing family issues to deal with.

but i am strong.

the 3 marathons in 3 days proved to be perfect closure to this year. the birth began it (ok, it was 2009) and the runs ended it. but even when faced when incredible physical and mental hardship. i can do it. that is a pep talk i often give myself as i tend to wallow. but at the end of the day, i can do it. and if 2010 has taught me anything, it is that i am strong.

writing this out makes me feel a bit 'up myself' as they say over here. i don't mean to come off conceited, i am simply answering the question. 2010 will be remembered as one of my hardest years to date, but also one of great personal growth.

No comments: